Tata Nano - Tata's much hyped World's Cheapest Car - The 1 Lakh Car
Much talked about Tata's 1 lakh car, titled as world's cheapest car named Tata Nano, was unveiled in Auto Expo in New Delhi today.
Tata Nano Pictures Photos Images Pics
Tata Nano Unveiled Videos
Tata Nano - Available in 3 Colors - Red, Yellow and Silver
Tata Nano's Specifications - Specifications of Tata Nano
- Looks: The snub-nosed look like Zen Estillo Car which reminds of the tradition of the Fiat 500, Nissan Micra and the Smart.
- Dimensions: 3.1 metres (10.23 feet) long, 1.5 metres wide and 1.6 metres high. Can seat four to five people.
- Engine: A two cylinder 623 cc, 33 horsepower rear mounted, all aluminium, multi-point fuel injection petrol engine can power the car to top speeds of 105 kilometres per hour (65 miles per hour).
- Fuel Efficiency: 20 kilometres per litre, or 50 miles per gallon is claimed.
- Pollution: Exceeds Indian regulatory requirements and can meet strict Euro IV emission standards. In terms of overall pollutants, Tata says the car is better than two-wheelers manufactured in India currently.
- Safety: Car exceeds current regulatory requirements with a strong passenger compartment, crumple zones, intrusion resistant doors, seat belts, strong seats and anchorage.
- Initial Annual Production Target: 250,000 units to rise later to 350,000. PRICE: Basic model price 100,000 rupees (2,500 dollars) plus tax and transport costs, which will bring on the road price to at least 120,000 rupees. The price of two deluxe models that will include air-conditioning and other features to be announced later.
- Nearest Domestic Car Rival: Maruti 800, part of Japanese-owned Suzuki Maruti stable whose base model sells for about 4,800 dollars -- nearly double the price of the Nano. Bajaj Scooters - India's 2nd Largest 2 wheeler company also wants to launch its cheapest car with Nissan-Renault in 2-3 years time.
- Nearest International Rival: China's Chery QQ which retails for 3,600 dollars.
- Sales: Tata will focus on selling the car in India for the next two to three years, before eyeing Latin American and Southeast Asian markets.
- Market: India's car market is a huge draw because car penetration is just seven per 1,000 people, compared to 550 per 1,000 in such countries as Germany or 476 in France, according to the Society of Indian Automobiles.
- Company Details: Tata Motors is India's largest vehicle company with revenues of 7.2 billion dollars in 2006-2007. It is the leader in commercial vehicles, such as trucks and buses, and the second largest in passenger vehicles. There are over four million Tata vehicles on Indian roads.
Tata Nano Interiors
Spacious with size 80% of nearest Rival's Maruti Suzuki 800 model (another low priced domestic competitor).
Tata Nano's Cost Price
It is priced at around 1 lakh Rs plus 26,000 Rs. As Tatas believe it was not possible to achieve 1,00,000 Rs.(Rupees) round figure. For Foriegn export, it will cost around $2500-$3200 (1,26,000 Rupees).
Tata Nano's Drawbacks Disadvantages - Safety Compromised
Foreign market may have welcomed this new cheap export car from India. People may use it inside the city for its small size it could be parked anywhere!! But this nice package comes with its little set of drawbacks. Guess people can spend that small amount of 1 Lac Rs. for which tatas may not get huge margins guess 10,000 Rs. per unit sold! People spending 1,26,000 Rs. can spend little bit more to get more stable and successful model of Maruti Suzuki 800 priced at 1,90,000 Rs.(Non-A.C. model)
Following are Drawbacks of Tata Nano:
- No Hand Brake.
- Engine at the rear. So no protection at the front in case of accident.
- Top speed - 90 Kmph (Kilometer per hour). Thats why it would be just a city car more or less, no long drives! Pity!!. So, it would not be popular among youth who need speed which they get in Bikes.
- Made up of low grade metal - Aluminium
- Mileage: 20 Kmpl in spite of being light weight
- Low Quality interiors - Seat cover are made up of leather.
- No spare Tire.
- Small sized Dashboard which can't safeguard against collision from front.
- Low Priced gearbox from Kinetic Scooter Company.
- Very ugly interiors.
- Seats uncomfortable much like a Three-Wheeler.
- Emission norms not followed properly.
- Not powerful, Slow Pickup (0-20 Kmph)
- Little Advantage in Hot Places: It has an AC (Air Conditioner) I guess!!
Tata Nano News - External Links
Tata Nano Blogs and Articles - External Links
Tata Nano's External Links (Wikipedia/Youtube/Official Website)